The short answer is I don't know whether it causes a performance
deficit. I also don't have a workaround at present.

However this is a long standing issue, for which we have a ticket.
Obviously we've focused very much on the low hanging fruit performance
wise.

*If* it makes any difference, you would notice it on the first two
multiplication tests in mpirbench (as compared with a machine with the
same architecture but different gcc for which the warning is not
issued).

Bill.