On x86 and x86_64 systems we use yasm to assemble the assembly code.
Yasm has python as a dependency.

Eventually mpir itself will probably require python as we are
considering using python for the build system.

One way around it is to configure with host=..... and specify the host
sytem you wish to build mpir for, but actually configure and build on
another system which does have python.

To figure out what the host should be, on the system you wish to build
mpir for, run the config.guess script in the main source tree of mpir.

Of course the final solution for us will be to supply binaries for a
variety of systems.

Fortunately it is rare for a system to not have python or for it to be
difficult to obtain for a given system these days.

I actually don't know what will happen if you build without python. If
it works, you are good to go, but if it is x86_64 I doubt it will
actually build, as yasm is absolutely required.

Bill.