By the way, you original command:

./configure --enable-cxx --disable-static --enable-shared

will not work in MSYS as far as I know. MSYS does not support the
building of shared libraries for MPIR as far as I am aware. You can
only build a static library. If you want a little bit more flexibility
on Windows, you need to use MSVC.

We should document this for the MSYS system.

Bill.