On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Bill Hart<goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The MPIR team is proud to release MPIR 1.2, which is available on our
> website:
>
> http://www.mpir.org/
> The new features of MPIR 1.2 include:
>
> * Further improvements to assembly support for K8/K10/Core2/Pentium 4
> including improvements to multiplication and division by 2 limbs

So I had a chance to do some benchmarks, this is using the BPSW code
which is part of the new stuff added to Brian's benchmark.  It seems
that 1.2 is slower than 1.1 was on my K8 system.  Neither was tuned so
maybe the default parameters are worse off now for my system?

Testing all base 2 pseudoprimes from 10^15 to 10^16 with BPSW took:
MPIR 1.1.1. = 1m26.068s
MPIR 1.2 = 1m32.788s
GMP 4.3.1 = 1m34.058s

I guess I could try tuning and see if that helps.

Jeff.