It doesn't work because FreeBSD 8.0 uses a broken binutils that doesn't have
lahf/sahf , the only fix is to upgrade.
However , we didn't have this before because that particular file was assembled

with our internal yasm and not an external gas? , the change is because I
never got around to converting the new assembler  to yasm format. I will
convert this file now.

Jason