On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Cactus <rieman...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> In order to reduce the complexity of the Windows build projects, I am
> now inclined to split the mpir Windows build solution into two
> separate build solutions, the first for 32-bit builds and the second
> for 64-bit builds.  I would be interested to hear people's views on
> this.

That makes a lot of sense to me.  It is easy enough for people to
choose with solution to load as long as it is clearly marked as 32bit
vs 64bit and then the solution itself is a lot easier to maintain.
Then within the 64bit solution for example, you perhaps could have
separate build parameters with things like Release-K8, Release-K10,
Release-Core2, Release-i7  or whatever if there are different
assembler files or configuration options people can easily select
which platform they want to build for.

> If there is still a strong interest in 32-bit performance, we need
> volunteers to maintain and develop this apsect of MPIR on Windows as I
> don't have the time (or the inclination) to do it.  Is 32-bit
> performance on Windows still important and, if it is, is anyone
> willing to volunteer to take on the work involved?

Based on what I have seen, the majority of systems out there are still
running 32bit operating systems so a lot of people are still using
32bit code for stuff that 64bit makes more sense.  So yes I think
32bit performance is still important, but I do not have the time to
maintain or develop the 32bit Windows side either.  People who are
really concerned about performance will have a 64bit OS these days so
while 32bit performance is important and is what the majority of
people still use, I don't think anyone needs to kill themselves trying
to push the 32bit code as far as it can go.

Jeff.