There's a little bit of a discussion about the issue on the GMP list:

http://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-discuss/2010-January/thread.html

I strongly expect that HP didn't try to patent this idea to get all
the GMP developers' money, because from what I can gather, they don't
have any. Could they be after the money of Maple?

And what could have been done to avoid this situation? Patents are a
submerged minefield. Who knows when you are going to violate one.
There's very little one can do.

At any rate, the "invention" is so obvious, and there is so much prior
art, that a trial would hopefully invalidate it.

Bill.