On 04/16/2010 09:36 PM, Bill Hart wrote:
> On 16 April 2010 21:32, Antony Vennard <antony.venn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, lots of "off-list" support, which I encourage people to put
>>> "on-list" where possible please!
>>>

>> Excellent :D

>>> Selmer has mod_wsgi, python 2.6.2, python_django, postgresql
>>> installed. I've just sent you a username and password to log in.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll have a look and start building something up.

>>> Hmm. Trac is pretty sophisticated. I'd be surprised if you could just
>>> reimplement it.
>>>
>>> Also bear in mind I know nothing whatsoever about CMS's. I once used
>>> Drupal and found it impossible to figure out. Website stuff is not my
>>> thing at all.
>>
>> Probably not in one hit, but over time. The alternative would be to
>> merge it somehow with Django. I've never looked at it from a source
>> perspective, but I imagine there's all sorts of interesting combinations
>> of trac+django. Their both being python means we can pull trac info into
>> Django, too. I expect at least a level of compatibility and interoperation.

>>> Let's keep it pretty simple for now. I personally "get" Ruby. But it
>>> has not gained as much of a following as say Python. So I've not put
>>> much time into learning it. Moreover, I know very little about rails.
>>> I've never personally used PHP, but it is a great language from what I
>>> know of it. I've never heard of Sinatra.
>>
>> Django is a framework on which you build web apps - you basically have a
>> copy of its libraries in /usr/lib/python-xx/site-packages on the
>> PYTHON_PATH and you create a few files that Django would like to be
>> there (or else you tell it something different) and it all magically
>> works. The PHP frameworks are conceptually similar in that you have a
>> library of PHP classes which are "included" into your current site,
>> although it doesn't work quite as cleanly as django, which is on the
>> python path.
>>
>> Python path is comparable to path for executables, LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
>> the Java Classpath. It's good.
>>
>> See djangoproject.com and there's a free "Django book" out there too,
>> both of which are really good resources.
>>
>> CMSes themselves I have never been entirely happy with - there's always
>> something not-quite-to-my-liking and customisation is always just out of
>> reach. With Django, we don't need a full CMS product (like drupal), we
>> can build just the dynamic content we like the idea of and code the rest
>> in as html/css. The other thing I forgot to mention is templating - you
>> only create one or two base templates and the rest inherit from that,
>> minimising the amount of html you have to write which is a massive bonus
>> as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>> I'm no web guru but I know enough to get by - to be honest though, most
>> web dev is just a little bit dull. The real fun stuff is written in C...
>
> That's right, which is why I would say keep it simple for now. Better
> to have your coding effort spent on writing great C code for us,
> [...]

Right, I'll build something basic for now - probably minimally themed
until we've agreed on stuff like branding and a name... maybe it'll
actually stay that way, who knows. I'll write something simple and
upload it to my staging server over the weekend/early next week so
people can look, comment and complain then we have something simple to
put live soon-ish.

Primary goal is easy maintenance of whatever content is on the pages so
that "releasing" etc doesn't take as much html editing as it does C code.

Antony