On May 8, 12:11 pm, Jason <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I put some code in to reject the buggy GCC-4.3.2 in 64bit mode. So on the gcc
> farm eg gcc11 what happens now with -enable-cxx is
> gcc 64bit mode is rejected so try gcc in 32bit mode which is OK , try g++ in
> 32bit mode which fails(no 32bit c++ libs installed, or path wrong) so try it
> without the flags(ie -m32) and is OK and in 64bit mode , compile using these
> options and break right at the end with incompatible librarys error.
>
> The default system is clearly broken , but should we work around it?
> 1) We could test that c++ ABI is same as c ABI , in the above this would just
> stop in the configure stage with a message saying no suitable compiler found.
>
> 2) Test and reject g++-4.3.2 in 64bit mode , same message as 1)
>
> 3) Get rid of the ABI selection mechanism completely.
>
> I'm all for 3) , the whole selection system seems fragile and flaky , most
> systems have only 1 ABI/compiler anyway so we can just use autotools defaults
> and just give an error message if the ABI/compiler is no good , and on systems
> with more than 1 ABI/compiler autotools will select the default ABI/compiler ,
> if it work we use it , if it doesn't we give up. Defaults are set for a reason
> and we should stick with it(other packages do) , I imagine on most systems the
> default is the fastest.
>
> I think on most systems this will make no difference at all , and only a few
> systems will have a different ABI selected , but then I imagine those users
> are used to selecting different ABI's for their systems , ie Solaris
>
> Specifing ABI=xxx will work , and if the specified ABI is no good we give up.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Jason

The new mpir app's test has caught at least one case of mpir using -
m64 to force the compiler in 64 bit mode but mpfr (and I assume mpc
etc) just use the default of not using -m64 so that the compiler is in
32 bit mode  and we get this error

hecking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking whether gcc __attribute__ ((mode (XX))) works... yes
checking for recent GMP... yes
checking for gmp internal files... yes
checking for valid GMP_NUMB_BITS... no
configure: error: GMP_NUMB_BITS is incorrect.

I assume this why sage likes to use it's own flags of -m64 , so that
all package are 64 bit , if we just used the default compiler setting
it would match all the other packages , simplify our configure system
(hooray) and also fix the problem above where the C and C++ compiler
can use different ABI's

This was on gcc40 with gcc-4.1 on a powerpc64 or powerpc970

Jason