I'm puzzled by the description of this function which says that the base may vary from 2..36 and -2..-36, but then goes on to describe the allowed chars in the string for bases 37..62.

Also, I see that you use the same odd rules as does GMP for different bases. That is,

Bases           Allowed in String
  2..36         0..9a..z
 37..62         0..9A..Za..z
 -2..-36        0..9A..Z
-37..-62        unspecified

Can anyone explain why not use one sequence for all bases (other than that's the way GMP did it)? If the latter explanation, does anyone know why GMP did it that way?