testing the command line builds under the directory win , this is specifically
with nehalem , vista64 , VS2008

64bit static  OK
32bit static    OK
64bit shared    OKish , make check fails the C++ tests
32bit shared  OKish , make check fails the C++ tests

the C++ failures are all to do with unresolved symbols in istream and ostream

This is the configure and make in the win directory , it should work with any
VS version from 2005 upwards and express versions as well
The compiler selection is the make sticking point and usually has to be
specified manually

There is also a command line build (configure/make) in the build.vc10 directory
, but this is just a command line wrappers around the build solutions which
support VS2010 and up only , I've not tested these and perhaps we should delete
them in favour of the new python solution

I've not tested the python solution

Besides docs , I believe we are good to go

Jason