Hi

Try building it with just

./configure --enable-fat --enable-gmpcompat --prefix=/libs/mp-09.07.2012

I assume you are building it on a x86_64 linux system so the --host=... is not
necessary

Setting CC to gcc is not necessary , and I assume -fPIC is automatic

Any varibles set this way will disable all the clever bits that configure tries
to do (and the dumb bits it does)

Thanks
Jason

Dear Developers,

Thank you for your efforts creating and maintaining MPIR!

I am trying to build my application (shared library) which is using MPIR.
Shared library is distributed in binary format, and should work on unknown
Linux.

I am using  following configuration to build MPIR:

CC="gcc -fPIC" ./configure --enable-fat --enable-gmpcompat
--prefix=/libs/mp-09.07.2012 --host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

It compiles fine, all tests are passed.

But when I build my shared library I get such message from linker:

/libs/mp-09.07.2012/lib/libgmp.a(fat_entry.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S
against `__gmpn_cpuvec' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/libs/mp-09.07.2012/lib/libgmp.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Both MPIR & my shared library are built with -fPIC.

So the question:

Is MPIR (2.5.1) fat builds usable in shared libraries? Or am I missing
something?

Thank you in advance.
Pavel Holoborodko.