When building MPIR 2.5.1 using msys I encountered a bug where during the
make step an error complaining about there being no gmp.h
steps to reproduce:
1) install msys on a windows system, installing the gcc, g++, and gfortran
compilers making certain there is no lurking previous installation of gmp
or mpir
2) extract the MPIR tarball to a new directory
3) open the mingw shell and navigate to the new mpir source directory
4) invoke configure as follows:
    ./configure --enable-cxx --disable-shared
5) invoke make as follows:
    make
or
    make -j 4
Shortly you get the error message:
libtool: compile:  gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..
-D__GMP_WITHIN_GMP -I.. -DOPERATION_redc_2 -m32 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-mtune=corei7 -march=corei7 -c redc_2.c -o redc_2.o
redc_2.c:24:17: fatal error: gmp.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [redc_2.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mpir-2.5.1/mpn'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mpir-2.5.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
(this error message came from running make instead of make -j 4 as the
message ordering is a bit confusing with parallel jobs

I found an easy workaround for this thankfully. when invoking configure add
the option --enable-gmpcompat
doing this enables successful compilation.

I have not tested this on other windows systems or with configure options
other than what I show here, sorry.

--
James M.