-----Original Message----- From: Bill Hart
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 4:16 PM
To: mpir-devel@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [mpir-devel] Possible Issue with the Windows command lIne build?

I don't know very much about the command line build. But I am not
really in favour of option 1.

I don't see why option 3 is a problem. However, it depends. Is the cfg
file different per architecture? Would it automatically find the right
one if they were all there in their respective directories?

The problem is just the overhead of producing them and keeping them up to date.

They are generated automatically by the Visual Studio build generator so someone has to build every possible architecture variation to set up all of them.

The Visual Studio build in MPIR is now very different to that supplied earlier. Apart from a small number of pre-configured builds, a user now has to run a Python program and select the architecture for which they wish to build. This then produces a number of files needed for building with Visual Studio, after which MPIR for the selected architecture can be built using the Visual Studio IDE. The necessary cfg.h files are built as a part of this process.

I can do this and add them if we want to adopt this solution but it means in effect that I end up partly supporting the command line build, a task that I am not really keen to take on. However, I can do it as a 'one off' provided I am not then committed to provide on-going support for it.