-----Original Message----- From: Bill Hart
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 12:20 PM
To: mpir-devel@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [mpir-devel] MPIR 2.6.0-alpha2 released

On 15 October 2012 09:12, Brian Gladman <b...@gladman.plus.com> wrote:
-----Original Message----- From: Bill Hart
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 3:22 AM
To: mpir-devel@googlegroups.com

Unfortunately, GMP-ECM will have to be rewritten to use the new FFT.

Fortunately, the best_k and next_size stuff is no longer needed. So
this shouldn't be too much work.

=========================
Doesn't this break the GMP compatibility mode?

No. The FFT is undocumented.

==========================

Thanks - I hadn't realised that. It seems that GMP-ECM imports part of gmp-impl.h and relies on GMP internals. Although it's not our job to fix this, I am still of the view that we should do what we can to help.

Can the old calls be mapped to the new FFT interface - that is dummy calls
for not needed items and a mapping from the old FFT call to the new one?

No, the operation of the new fft is just different.

This might be inefficient but it would be better than nothing until
something better can be arranged.

In any event, we surely need to offer advice on what to do to use the new
FFT in place of the old one - maybe we already do this in the 2.6.0 manual?

The example of the MPIR code that uses the FFT code for
inverse/division should be sufficient to see what is needed here.

Ok but we need someone who is familiar with both the old and the new FFT interface to take a look at this.

GMP-ECM has a significant user community so I hope that someone can pick this up.