Dear all,

I am sorry to report that Jason Moxham, long time contributor and for
some years, maintainer of MPIR, has passed away. I just received this
sad news from his family.

Jason was an extremely talented assembly language developer and C
programmer who contributed an enormous amount of code and time to the
MPIR project (used by Flint and Sage). He was certainly the most
talented assembly language coder I have ever encountered, and possibly
one of the best in the world. He was especially well-known for writing
an assembly super-optimiser with which he found optimal assembly
sequences for many MPIR functions on a range of processors.

Jason also put an enormous amount of effort into the MPIR build
system, simplifying it substantially. And he made numerous other
contributions to the project.

Jason was a core MPIR developer from 2009-2012, however, some of his
code was written and accumulated for years before that.

A recent project of Jason's was The Code Cavern
(http://thecodecavern.co.uk/) a repository of optimised assembly
sequences.

A few years ago, Jason also worked on a Windows port of Pari/GP,
funded by a small grant from the cryptography group at Microsoft
Research.

Jason had a difficult few years, but he put his heart and soul into
MPIR whenever he was able. He will be missed greatly.

His funeral is in a couple of weeks time.

We extend our deepest condolences to his family.

Bill Hart.