On Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:22:30 PM UTC+1, Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:

> On Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:15:49 PM UTC+1, Bill Hart wrote:
>>
>> On 25 November 2012 16:22, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > If I understand correctly you'd rather propose to only check for
>> stdint.h at
>> > build time, define a macro in mpir.h and then use it?
>> > Unless you really want to run with or without stdint.h on similar
>> hardware
>> > (but I don't think you distribute binaries anyway?)
>>
>> This doesn't work when installing mpir on some systems with multiple
>> compilers. Hence it cannot be done this way.
>>
>> Bill.
>>
> Ok, anyway the fix in LinBox is easy to setup so it's no real issue now.

And I think I now understand what Marc suggested:
* in mpir.h if _STDINT_H or related is defined, then define
MPIR_H_HAVE_STDINT and related functions
* in mpirxx.h (which includes mpir.h all the time) just check that variable
rather than _STDINT_H and related.
In the case as above where someone includes in this order mpir.h, then
stdint.h, then mpirxx.h, the problem would disappear (although the user
won't be able to use the get_cx/ux functions, but that's better than
failing, isnt it? and if he needs them, hell just have to change the order
of includes).