I ran mpir_bench_two on Penryn and K10. On the latter we seem to do better,
so I will focus on the former.

I see four areas where we need some improvement:

1) Very unbalanced multiplication where one of the operands is in the fft
region (Fredrik's patch probably didn't go far enough).

2) Asymptotically fast division (in the fft range). We are about a factor
of 2 slower than GMP.

3) Our extended gcd code seems to be slower than GMP's (I thought we used
the same code nowadays).

4) Our fac_ui code is incredibly slow.

5) Division by a 64 bit number or 128 bit number (i.e. divrem1/2 with full
number of bits in divisor).

I think 2 and possibly 5 have to wait for another release. But maybe 1, 3
and 4 are easy enough to fix.

Also, for some odd reason, even when speed shows mpn_sqr to be faster in
MPIR than GMP, mpir_bench shows it the other way around, which is a mystery
to me, other than that there may be some performance issue in the mpz code.