Unless I am being monumentally stupid (possible), the documentation for the
mpz_gcdext function looks totally different between GMP-5.0.3 and
GMP-5.0.4, so either there was a change of normalisation somewhere in
there, or the documentation never specified what was supposed to happen in
this case before that point.

Either way, I think we are pretty much off the hook here.

We now use the gmp-5.0.5 interface. This may break some doctests in Sage.

Bill.