I forgot to mention: if the output of ./config.guess begins with x86_64 or
core2 and yet you have a recent machine, this is a misconfiguration of MPIR.

In such cases, could you please send me the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo
from your machine, or otherwise tell me what the precise CPU model is for
your machine, e.g. AMD Opteron R5875.

Bill.