From: 'Bill Hart' via mpir-devel <mpir-devel@googlegroups.com>
Date: Monday, January 14, 2019 at 8:11 PM
To: mpir-devel <mpir-devel@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [mpir-devel] Re: MPIR slow on macOS?

What does ./config.guess say your machine is? It's probably just too new to be
detected correctly.

Bill.

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 05:05:06 UTC+1, Ronald Mak wrote:

I wrote a C++ program that uses MPIR 3.0.0 to compute the first million digits
of pi. On a native Linux laptop with a Core i7 1.8 GHz CPU, my pi program
executed in under 8 seconds.

I installed MPIR 3.0.0 on my MacBook Pro laptop with a Core i7 2.3 GHz CPU and
macOS Mojave 10.14.2. The same pi program took over 135 seconds to execute.

Then I used VirtualBox to install Ubuntu 18.10 in a virtual machine on my
MacBook Pro laptop. I installed MPIR 3.0.0 on the Ubuntu VM, and the same pi
program ran in about 7 seconds.

What is going on with MPIR on macOS to cause my pi program to run so much more
slowly? It's apparently not a hardware issue, since the latter two runs of my
pi program were on the same laptop, but on different operating systems. Does
MPIR cause macOS to generate interrupts? Interpret certain instructions? Paging?