--- Catherine Shreves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > As you might suspect, our data shows that
 attendance
 > is directly linked
 > with school success. We need to improve
 attendance,
 > and we will be
 > requiring 95% attendance for all students this
 > upcoming fall (Point #7).
 > Any student who misses 7 full or parital days of
 > unexcused absences will
 > be considered truant and subject to legal action.

 > While there are other efforts underway as part of
 > the "12 Point Plan," I
 > think that the 3 efforts I've mentioned are the
 > most significant in
 > terms of reducing the achievement gap.

 Shreves believes that criminalizing truant students
 is
 one of the three most important pieces to solving
 the
 achievement gap!  What a sad statement about our
 board's solution to a problem - make the problem go
 away by criminalizing the victims.  I would hope
 that
 studies could be done as to why kids aren't
 attending
 school - and work on fixing that problem.  I suppose
 Shreves is correct, subjecting students to legal
 action will get rid of the problem - because it will
 get rid of the students.  The school district will
 be
 able to report a closing achievement gap between the
 benchmark White Student, and the non-white other.
 Unfortunately, here in the real world, there will
 assuredly be more manifestations of our stagnant
 education system's failures.

 As alluded to above, I would like to see student
 interests taken into account and allow that to
 motivate them to stay in school.  Superintendent
 Johnson once held a news conference on The Plan and
 in
 it declared a

 'War on a pop culture that celebrates Rap over
 Reading; designer clothes over division/calculus; TV
 talk shows over turning in homework.'

 Instead, pop culture should be used as a tool.  Rap
 lyrics should be used as literature, and compared to
 cummings, Keats, etc.  Designer clothes used as a
 lesson in psychology, marketing, economics, human
 rights, etc.  Talk shows as a reflection of what
 ails
 America - sociology, history, etc.  By making school
 relevant and interesting, calculus, physics,
 chemistry, et al will be more easily accepted, and
 students will show up!

 What we see in the 12-point plan is an educational
 system that ignores the students.  We see a plan
 that
 scapegoats the students.  We see a plan where a
 common
 sense solution is ignored in favor of a
 beauraucratic
 "solution" which in fact does not address the
 problem,
 but generates a new one.

 Jon Kelland
 Bryant