My week was saddened by the unexpected passing of an
impressive old, shade-giving tree across the alley; a
cacophony of saws and a very loud chip grinder early
Tues. a.m. drew most of the neighbors' out to take a
look.

I experienced a twinge of sadness combined with
puzzlement; I hadn't noticed that the tree looked like
it was diseased or otherwise failing.  The feeling was
similar to hearing about the passing of someone you'd
been fond of, but hadn't talked to or heard about in
awhile.

It turns out, the tree was perfectly healthy.  My
neighbor simply wants an attached rather than
unattached garage, and the tree was in the way!  We
made the connection as we saw workmen tear down the
old garage, and debriefed other neighbors about bad
blood in the neighborhood stemming from the
"tree-for-attached-garage" trade (we're the newcomers
on the block).

My tree-clearing neighbors may feel that their house
is improved, but there's no doubt in my mind that the
neighborhood as a whole is diminished by their
actions.  Wouldn't it be nice if the law somehow took
into account the rest of the neighbors' interests and
wishes, and not just the self (and selfish) interest
of one???

Ross Kaplan
Fulton