I am so intrigued by the thoughtful posts regarding
neighborhood associations.  I have learned quite a bit.
However, my experience in many cases was that the
neighborhood associations where I lived previously did get
in the way at times (more bureaucracy).  And by virtue of
how they are organized and meet exclude many portions of the
population - especially families with young children and the
elderly.  All of these factors seem to distance the
neighborhood association from the citizenry.

I wonder if part of the reason for all of this is that we
were not direct stakeholders.  In my current association, I
pay dues directly to the association.  I am an even greater
stakeholder because I know exactly how much I pay to that
association every month.  It is ever present in my mind
about what they are doing and what I am paying for.  I
wonder if because NRP associations are funded through
general taxes and even further removed TIF taxes that many
in neighborhoods don't feel as great a stakeholder.  Kind of
the out of site out of mind thing.  Perhaps the funding
vehicle needs to change? Any thoughts...

Russ Peterson
St. Michael
former Standishite

            Russell W. Peterson, RA, CID
                           Founder
R  U S S E L L   P E T E R S O N   D E S I G N
Architecture / Interior Design / Strategic Planning

   "You can only fly if you stretch your wings."

         Metro Minneapolis - Saint Michael

         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
          www.russellpetersondesign.com