Remember: our rules allow pointed disagreement, but require respectful discussion.
--

>Remember: our rules allow pointed disagreement, but require respectful
discussion.
>--
>
>I attended the forum on 9-20 for the candidates for mayor. I would like to
>say that I'm glad that they are both DFL.

CM That has to define openmindedness.

>Shocking to me is his belief that the real-estate stock of the city of
>Minneapolis should be released to the public sector.

CM   Right now that real estate stock is doing nothing.  Nada. Zip. Nuell.
How is that helping the housing crisis?

 Is this a form of
>helping those that have, over those that have not? Who will benefit from
this
>the most?

CM  Everyone.

This to me is not what the homeless, and
>working class of citizens of Minneapolis need to gain affordable housing.
The
>crisis that we currently have is because of supply and demand.

Good.  That is econ 101.  Not enough supply.

 When our
>housing stock is open to the private sector those that have will buy up the
>property and have full control of it.

CM  Who ever owns it has control of it.  What am I missing here? Should
people buy cars with out getting the title?  Should I buy food with out
having the right to eat it?

True, to a certain point this does need
>to happen, but we also need a controlled method to create housing for the
>improvised and working class.

CM  This is what is currently happening.  Non-profits ask for extraordianary
subsidy, then get the subsidy, then build something that very few poor
people can afford to live in.  And the problem only gets worse.

This can only be accomplished if nonprofit
>organizations that service these needy citizens have control over some of
the
>housing stock. The idea of opening up the cities housing stock to the
private
>sector is no different to me then large subsidies for corporations.

CM  Not if you sell the land to the highest bidder and give them broad
guidelines, such as the existing zoning code. The problem is the
aforementioned  'controlled method to create housing ..' .

>Lets look at what could happen. The housing stock is open to the private
>sector, zoning and other laws are changed, Inspections rules are eased, and
>NRP has full funding.

CM  How does the sale of vacant lots create full NRP funding?

The rich will be able to buy apartment buildings,
>houses and vacant lots.

CM  The city should always sell the asset to the highest bidder.  If not,
the assets will always goto those with best conections.

This will not take long. Once they own these
>properties they may then go to the NRP neighborhood group and receive NRP
>funds to rehab these properties.

CM  Over all the NRP funding as been microscopic towards Multi-Housing.  I
see no indication of change in that policy.

The result will be unbelievable rent rates
>and sky is the limit purchase pricing of homes. A single citizen will have
>be an executive to afford a one bedroom apartment.

CM  This kind of logic denies simple economic theory proof.  More units mean
more housing, more competition, less increases in rent.  Less housing
creates shortage and rising prices.

This will be a better
>investment for the rich then bonds or the stock market.

CM  New construction has less return then bonds in Minnesota for years.
That's why supply has not kept up.

Craig Miller
Affordable Housing Provider
Formerly of Fulton