Kraehling is correct. He and John Gallos were the longest serving booth
announcers ever in television. They were THE voices of Channel 4.

It was Jass. Mel Jass - and the Channel 11 (WTCN-TV) Afternoon Movie and his
incredible used car sales pitches for everything. Often used cars, but
dozens of other retailers and products. All sold as though you'd be dead the
next day if you didn't buy it today. You could visit the studios in the
Calhoun Beach Hotel and watch the shows from behind the camera if you were
quiet.

Anyone remember Toby Prin at the organ and piano?

How about Arle Haeberle and her afternoon Talk of the Town show?

DFL Bean Feeds (predecessor of the Humphrey Day Dinners) at the Leamington
Hotel, owned by the notorious Bob Short, the man who killed Don Fraser's bid
for the Senate in the 1978 primary and sent DFLers flocking to Dave
Durenberger.

Cedric Adams, Halsey Hall, Howard Viken, Hobbs House, Joyce Lamont (still on
the air at KLBB - that makes about 50 years or more for Joyce, who sounds
almost the same save for a bit of a slur in pronunciation), Boone &
Erickson, Jergen Nash - all incredibly smooth - and deep - voices from the
Good Neighbor Days at 'CCO, and so successful any young announcer or time
salesman would have given an arm and a leg to work there. It was a ticket to
full retirement.

The radio and television scene today is a jumbled mess of formats and
voices, each outlet almost indistinguishable from the other. One of the
holdouts is Johnny Canton who started as a rock jock at WDGY in the 60's and
is, I think, still at W-LITE. But not much personality left around here.

Andy Driscoll
Saint Paul
------
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who, in times of
moral crisis, remain neutral" --Dante