The current issue of SW Journal reports that Public Works is now seeking to
collect trash throughout the entire city.  Currently city workers collect
half the city waste and MRI (a consortium of private haulers) collects the
other half.

What is the current status of the MRI contract?  Didn't the City Council
renegotiate MRI's old contract upward last spring (a year early) without
even soliciting bids?  MRI has retained their contract for decades, with the
city continually refusing to open the process to competitive bidding. Now
Public Works is saying they can do a better (more cost effective?) job than
MRI and wants the entire job.  How do we, or the City Council, even know
what appropriate costs are for this work, given there have been no
competitive bids solicited in decades.  I again suggest that competitive
bids are in order, including a bid from Public Works.  How many of us would
hire a contractor for any significant work on our own property without
obtaining a few competitive bids first?  I'd like an update from Susan
Young, Director of Solid Waste and Recycling and/or someone in the know on
the City Council.  Thanks in advance.

Michael Hohmann
13th Ward