At 10:01 PM 11/28/01 -0600, List Manager wrote:
>http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/861611.html
Rybak has been a staunch opponent of investing city money in a stadium,
though he has said he is not opposed to financial backing from other
governments. Ostrow said he would regard $10 million in city backing -- the
maximum approved by voters for a stadium -- as "appropriate."

Asked whether he might oppose that, Rybak said he was more interested in
hearing the citizen group's reaction to the proposals. "It's really
important to put aside a lot of the old lines," he said.

==================================
EY:  The referendum was not approving money for a Stadium.  It was capping
the ammount of city money that could be used on a Stadium.  It was also a
pretty clear message that voters in the city didn't want public money to be
used for a stadium.

Rybak's statement that he would be ok with backing from other governments
is rather interesting.  He attacked Sharon Sayles Belton on the Stadium
Issue.  Now that he is mayor, he seems to be doing an about face on this
issue.

Gary Bowman writes:

What is most frustrating is that we're all doing just what Bud Selig would
like to see us do: panic.  Once panic has set in, logic and thoughtful
discussion goes out the window.  Then my streets aren't plowed and
maintained because my tax dollars are going to less needed things.

EY:  What bothers me is that coverage of the Twins contraction is sucking
the life out of most other stories in the press.

I really wonder if Rybak thinks the taxpayers of Minneapolis are too stupid
to see that other government spending on the stadium also comes out of our
pockets.  Also, there's going to be less interest at the state level to
vote for public funding for a stadium if the city -- and the taxpayers in
the city don't pony up.

Eva
Eva Young
Central