In business, contracts can sometimes be completely
meaningless.  If an entity goes under or doesn't exist,
there is nothing to sustain to operate or to pay rent.  I
have never found court a good place to resolve business
differences.  And it certainly isn't a good place to
determine public vision.

It seems to me the question real question is:  Do we want
baseball in Minnesota or in Minneapolis specifically and
what are we willing to do given the current circumstances if
we want the Twins to remain?  If the answer to the first
part is no.  Then we need to quit playing the game.  If the
answer is yes, then we need to define what we believe is
both responsible for our society and responsive to the
public's wishes.

Personally, I think baseball needs to significantly reform
the way it operates.  I think we are sending that message
loud and clear, that is why they are so nervous and have
threatened contraction.  Now that we've sent that message,
how do we work with Congress to help make the necessary
reforms and with baseball to keep the Twins in place until
those reforms are implemented.  Putting together a sound
private offer for the team and building a stadium with a
combination of private funds and some kind of graduated
ticket sur-charge or perhaps a sports lottery where only
those interested in participating can do so, seems like a
reasonable approach to me.

But more than anything, it would be a shame for Minneapolis'
new start to get derailed by paying too much attention to
this issue.  Don't let major league baseball define the
agenda for Minneapolis.

Russell W. Peterson
Saint Michael