In a message dated 12/6/01 12:17:40 PM, wizard writes:

<< Some legitimate research group (Dennis Shapiro, member of
this list, could give you the name) reports that each and
every kid needs 41 different resources to succeed. Kids who
are not succeeding do not have 41 resources, they may not
have half that many. >>

sue responds:

Sorry for the delay in responding to this - the digests are stacked up like
cordwood!  I thought I'd mention, since Denny hasn't, that Wizard is
referring to research conducted by the Minneapolis-based Search Institute.  I
saw Dr. Peter Benson present this work several years ago now - he calls these
resources "developmental assets".  There are 41 assets in total - I think the
average child had about 20 in their life - and we need to see around 30 for
us to be able to predict that the child will succeed.  Some of the assets are
internal to the child (ie commitment to learning, social competencies) and
some are external factors supplied by family and community (appropriate
boundaries, focus on school).   The most interesting thing that I remember is
that, since he did a big piece of the original research right here in
Minneapolis, he had a large enough sample to break it down and analyze it by
geography.  And living right here in affluent SW Minneapolis was really no
guarantee that a child would have adequate assets in their lives - these kids
had more, but not that many more, than kids from the north side.  His work
was really more  of a challenge to get communities to pay attention to and
address the problems of children as a whole - not any particular race or
class.    I remember well that one example that he gave was the asset
"consistent contact with one "elder" who is not a family member".  Something
that children used to have on a regular basis one generation ago, but in
today's increasingly age-segregated society, not all that common (remember,
we're talking about contact with someone other than grandma or grandpa).  He
said that churches and synagogues offered one of the rare opportunities for
this kind of important intergenerational contact. So we immediately set to
work to develop an intergenerational "partner" program at my church - but
that's another story!
Its work worth reviewing - you can catch it at
www.search-institute.org.assets

Susan Herridge
Lynnhurst