I want to thank Joan Campbell and Gary Schiff for getting the answer from
the City Attorney (regarding the City Council re-appointment of their
member of the Library Board):

Contrary to what I assumed from my conversation with  the City Clerk's
office and from reading the ordinance, it turns out that the Minneapolis
Open Appointment process is not at all open.  The current interpretation of
the open appointment ordinance by the City Attorney is that no public
notice is necessary if there is no vacancy at the end of a term.

I think this is a change from the last time I was on the Minneapolis
Telecommunications Network Board (early 1990's).  (That board is appointed
by the Mayor and City Council)  We were required to provide notice of all
terms that were expiring.  In cases where the incumbent was being
re-appointed, we included that fact in the notification.

The current interpretation (of the admittedly fuzzy language) seems at odds
with the intent to provide an open process for appointing the various
boards, commissions, committees and advisory groups that help make city
government work.  I urge the new Council and Mayor to make the changes to
the ordinance that would make it a more open process.

sheldon mains    seward neighborhood    minneapolis      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
the shameless agitator  in  the electronic town square