Lake Harriet (and I'm assuming the others) is snow-free and
smooth as glass in most parts. My two older boys and I skated all the
way around the lake and then all the way across it. What a way to
celebrate the New Year and we were joined by dozens of others. Fellow
skaters told me the last time it froze this perfectly was either1988
or 1989. Tonight I put on my skates again and had the whole, lovely
moonlit lake to myself. So I swooped and swirled and belted out old
Sinatra songs. Around 10:15 p.m., a guy who looked about 50 showed up
with a hockey stick and a puck. We figured the two of us could
probably share the lake. Last I saw him, he was chasing the puck
towards the south end of the lake, a dark shadow moving fast.
        This is a great city to live in.

        Lynnell Mickelsen
        Ward 13, Linden Hills