As to the local aspect of the Minnesota [anti?]-"Patriot" Act and
related bills, it would be informative to find out where Minneapolis
legislators stand on the significant aspects of the proposed bills.

For example, how about the provision that requires all higher education
institutions to make regular reports about the activities of all its
"foreign" students to the Minnesota Attorney General? How about the
provision that defines "terrorism" to include damage to property?

Then there is the Emergency Health Powers Act, which [as I understand
it] allows the governer to declare a state of emergency, and be
permitted to make all sorts of intrusions on liberty and property that
would never otherwise be allowed, and further prevents the actions from
being challenged in court for 60 days.

There is also another attempt to again make the pledge of allegiance
mandatory in public schools.  Proponents are obviously taking advantage
of the political atmosphere to pass a bill that previously died in the
Senate.

It is important for our legislators to share their thoughts on these
issues that most would probably agree to have significant local impact.

Jordan Kushner
Powderhorn, SD 61B