I attended the press conference/rally this morning at the Chicago Crossings mini-shopping center. I'd say about 50 to 100 people were milling about, many of them media.  Omar Jamal from the Somali Justice Advocacy Center spoke to the media, and Mayor Rybak also appeared and spoke.  Others from various communities, including City, Inc., were there and spoke out about the prior shooting of Alfred Sanders in the Central neighborhood.

Since December 1999, four mentally ill folks have been killed by the police:  Rocco Dandrea, Barb Schneider, Alred Sanders, and now Abu Jeimani.  I happened to meet with two people in the community later in the morning, both of whom are struggling with mental illness and both of whom expressed fear and utter confusion about the shootings.  It's a very sad day-- and one of anger as well.  Almost uniformly everyone has asked the question:  why do we have a shoot to kill policy?

Gregory Luce
North Phillips (work)

Dean Zimmermann wrote:
005001c1c8b6$aeb38c10$fefa1941@daisy">
What I think I know:

At about 2:00pm police responded to a Somali man, walking down Franklin Ave,
near Chicago. He was carrying a machete and a crowbar and did not respond to
police attempts to get him to put down the machete and crowbar. Police used
a tazer (a kind of an electric stun gun) in an attempt to immobilize him,
but multiple attempts failed to subdue him. He was shot multiple times by
the police; the actual number of shots is unknown to me at this time.

The incident is being investigated by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Dept.

I will be meeting with the mayor and others tomorrow morning.

I will be at the press conference at 9:00am tomorrow.

I have asked staff to help me get an agenda item on the Public Safety and
Regulatory Services Committee's next meeting regarding police firearms'
discharge policy.

I just read the S'trib article by reporters Estrada & Kumar and it seems to
be a ccurate according to all I know.

Dean Zimmermann
Mpls City Council Member - Ward 6
612-673-2206