At the East Area Parent Advisory Council meeting on Monday night, the
district announced its intentions to close three to four schools in the East
Area.  We have worked hard to make our community schools in this area great
schools, but the district policies have the cards stacked against community
schools.  For example, community schools cannot draw from as large an
attendance area as magnet schools.  And being small schools by nature, the
community schools are passed over for programs, such as ESL, that could
increase enrollment and keep the schools financially viable.  Despite the
difficulties, we in this area feel that our community schools are a vital
part of our community, and want them to survive and thrive.

I would like to know what each of the school board candidates would propose
doing to resolve this issue.