>Today's installment in the S'Trib of the Feature series on Olivia, MN
>portrays exactly what I was trying to show about how police in small >towns know the
>citizens and each other.  I was legitimately shot >down for my idea that it might be
>a worthwhile goal in Minneapolis >to encourage people to move to the neighborhood in
>which they work.

The idea of living in the town that you work in is a good idea, Chicago has provisions
like that as well as Wisconsin, however some of the officers that I've talked with
don't want to live in the same area that they live in because of the possibilty of
running into the guy or guys that he dealt with before.

Personally, I would like to do this, live in the city that I worked in, mostly because
I feel that the amount of crime would decrease because there is an officer living in
the area.  Not only that, I would try to get to know the neighbors as well, not only
are you watching out for them, but they could also watch out for you.

For example, in Japan, this works very well, but then again, the citizens also lookout
for each other (like a small town).  In Hawaii, you don't really have a choice because
of the size of the island, plus, in order to live elsewhere, you have to take a plane
to another island, which makes it unrealistic.

There was one incident several years ago in Hawaii where an officer was working a vice
case against some drug dealers, the dealers found his home and shot him while he was
sleeping in his living room couch, through the window.

>Still, Chuck Haga's depiction of small town interaction seems pretty
>close to the way I recall living in McLeod County.  Contrast the >story below with
>our attitude about the police action in Dinkytown a >few days ago.

Although sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how large or small
a town is.  I've noticed that in a small town, it's easier to get to know people and
most of the people appreciate the police, but for large cities, you have so many
people and you have a small number of people that don't appreciate the police and some
people that don't want to get to know the police, so it may work and it may not.

>http://startribune.com/stories/1688/2257781.html

>Emilie Quast
>SE Como

Russell Sasaoka