Forwarded by request of the DFL Feminist Caucus... - David Brauer, list
manager

Tuesday, April 30, 2002
For immediate release

DFL FEMINIST CAUCUS ENDORSES IN MINNEAPOLIS LEGISLATIVE RACES

        The DFL Feminist Caucus has endorsed candidates in several
upcoming legislative races in the Minneapolis area.  Most of the DFL
endorsing conventions in these districts will be held between May 11 and
June 8.

        Endorsed are Senators Jane Ranum, Linda Higgins, Linda Berglin,
Julie Sabo, and Larry Pogemiller, and Representatives Phyllis Kahn,
Margaret Anderson Kelliher, Karen Clark, Jim Davnie and Wes Skoglund.

        In the contest for the senate seat being vacated by retiring
Sen. Myron Orfield, both Rep. Scott Dibble and School board member
Catherine Shreves were found "acceptable."  In the race for Dibble's
House seat, Metro Council member Frank Hornstein was endorsed, and Mark
Lindberg was rated acceptable.

        In House District 62B, two DFL incumbents were "paired" by the
March 19 redistricting plan issued by the courts.  Both have been
endorsed in the past by the Feminist Caucus.  Both were screened this
week, and the board voted overwhelmingly to endorse Rep. Wes Skoglund
for the seat and to find Rep. Jean Wagenius acceptable.

        "The quality of the candidates this year is just excellent,"
said Feminist Caucus President Jo Matson.  "In many cases we all said
that we wish we could run these candidates in different districts so we
could have them all in the Legislature," she added.  "In the contested
races where both candidates support our issues, we went with the one who
demonstrated greater experience and effectiveness.  For example, we were
impressed with Wes Skoglund's years of advocacy work on behalf of
victims of sexual assault."

        The DFL Feminist Caucus is one of several political
organizations within the DFL party.  It was founded in 1973 to promote
feminist principles, and supports both women and men who are part of
that effort.

                                                -30-