Are behavioral problems in school generally rooted outside of school?
Is it possible to greatly reduce these behavioral problems by making
changes inside the schools?

I was engaged in a similar type of debate about the behavior of restaurant
customers when I waited tables at Denny's and other medium-price full
service restaurants during the early 1980's.  Under certain circumstances
a lot of customers didn't leave a tip, and blacks were less likely to tip
than
whites.  These differences in customer behavior may be rooted in conditions
that exist outside of restaurants.  However, I found that it was possible to
improve the behavior of customers and eliminate the tipping gap between
black and white customers by changing conditions inside the restaurant.

The popular theory among waiters was that blacks did not feel as
obligated to tip due to cultural differences rooted outside of the
restaurant.  Most waiters considered blacks to be inferior customers who
deserved inferior service, and they figured that they could improve their tip
income by giving whites better service, especially during a rush period.
Some waiters went out of their way to give blacks poor service or refused to
serve them at all.

It occurred to me that customers who failed to leave a tip might be
dissatisfied
with the quality of service, and that it might be possible to reduce or
eliminate the tipping gap between white and black customers by improving
the quality of the service.  I tested this hypothesis by recording and later
analyzing the following data on every group of customers I served:
demographics (number, race, gender), dollar amounts of the bill and the
tip, and the times that I ordered and served food prepared in the kitchen.
All
customers who waited 10 minutes or less for their food paid at least a
15% tip.  No one who waited more than 20 minutes left a tip.  Blacks were
less likely to tip than whites if they had to wait more than 10 minutes
and less than 20, and the longer the wait the bigger the tipping gap.

My research-based solution to the tipping gap problem was to take steps
to ensure that only in a heavy rush period would anyone have to wait more
than 10 minutes for their food, and in a heavy rush period no more than 12
minutes. Then I repeated the study of tipping behavior, collecting data on
over 3,000 customers over a period of 6 weeks. More than one-third of my
customers were black. A total of 7 customers from 3 parties didn't leave
a tip (all white).  No one who left a tip tipped less than 15% of the bill,
and the average tip was about 20% for black, white, and mixed white
and black parties.

Initially most of the waiters, and later the management, figuring that a
dramatic rise in tip income was spoiling the waiters, opposed the new
regime.  A waiter who refused to serve blacks quit after trying to get me
fired.
I trained and for several weeks looked after his replacement, an
inexperienced
white women who for a time referred to blacks as 'niggers.'  After about 6
weeks she was nearly my equal as a waiter and provided the same quality
of service to blacks as she did to whites.  I told her that I was surprised
by
her seemingly positive attitude toward blacks as customers. In reply she
said "Why would I consciously give black people (not niggers) inferior
service?
If I did that they wouldn't tip as well as the whites.  I generally don't
like blacks,
and maybe that's wrong, but I don't see why that should affect the way
I do my job."

I advocate a similar approach to improving classroom climate, reducing
class and racial antagonisms, and reducing the suspension rate gap
between black and white students in the Minneapolis Public Schools:
Stay focused on making changes in the educational system that will
reduce disparities in education-related outcomes.

-Doug Mann
MPS Board candidate
<http://educationright.tripod.com>

In a message dated 5/12/2002 6:08:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I agree with Brandon's comments below to the effect that we need to
develop
>  one-on-one, carefully tailored plans for students with behavioural
problems
>  and with deeper issues which are so often rooted in life outside of school.
>
>  This enters into a complex process, however, and requires a substantial
>  commitment of staff and other resources.  It may well require costly
>  cooperative programs with various social services organizations (state,
>  county, city, or NGOs?).

[snip]

>  In my opinion, schools are a sorting mechanism, and are becoming more-so,
> not less-so. The political climate supports this role for schools, and
those
> who  support schools as educational institutions intimately linked with
agencies
>  dealing with the complexities of life outside the schoolyard are swimming
>  upstream in a very strong current going the other way.

[snip]