Folks - it is my understanding (after some research a few years back) that
a lot of the neighborhoods are named after schools and parks.  Many of the
schools which are no longer here but the neighborhood name has not changed.
So many of the Planning districts were also designed geographically around
certain parks and schools - dah!

Phillips neighborhood was named after Phillips Junior Hi which is today the
Boys and Girls Club/Park Board Community Center and Pool. Phillips Junior
High was name after Wendell Phillips never stepped foot in Minneapolis. But
some of us have his history and The Alley Newspaper quotes him a lot.  He
traveled far and wide as a great orator and as an abolitionist fought for
the rights of the poor and impoverished - often people of color.  His
invalid wife Anne Green was his speechwriter and although she did not
travel with him his speeches were delivered to him on the trains that moved
everyone around at that time.
(And believe it or not The Green in the Green Institute is really named
after Anne Green but hardly anyone knows that side of the story - because
its kind of like Ventura Village.  Most people think it means one thing but
really means another.)

To find out some of this history about why Wendell I talked to a former
school board member who lives at Becketwood ( i don't have my notes so
don't remember the name but from the 20's)
He said that schools and parks were named after famous people of the times.
I happen to know many of the parks are named after people who gave their
heart, soul and money to founding this great city of ours.
I don't have time to keep going on this tonight but it is part of our rich,
rich history from the milling  and lumber days.
Fr the moment, don't get me started,
Annie Young
East Phillips