Pardon my total bewilderment, but I am confused.  I woder if any body on the
list sees the same interesting connection as I do.  One list member claims
this city has the lowest public spending per capita on art in the countty,
yet after 5 years here,            I am still amazed at how often I turn
around and find a completely new chunk of the art world .  Over the last 20
years I've lived in a NYC suburb, Delaware, downtown St. Louis and Chicago.
And I grew up in a Boston inner ring suburb.  A decent cross section of
non-western America.  I would have to sayhMinneapolis has more Art,  however
defined, then any of these places.     Why do we feel the need to drag a
public bureaucracy into this? Who needs the state to sanction art?  Does our
low level of Official Support and our very high level of actual art not have
a posssible connection?  Why risk demolishing a creative, untamed spirit like
that needed to create art by saddling it with the dead hand of politics?
           Mark Greenwald, The Wedge