The Mayor's office yesterday sent out a press release about moving air
freight operations away from Minneapolis-St. Paul International
Airport.

The press release ignores a couple of major problems-

First we are NOT land banking for a new airport, an airport that will
be needed even if the current expansion program continues as we will
run out of land on which to expand.  The current airport is bordered by
a river and a couple of major highways.   The chances of either the
river or major highways moving is virtually nil.

We do continue to expand the airport.  As I write this new air freight
facilities are being built on the west side of the airport and
construction has begun on a new runway.

>From the Rybak press release on the St. Cloud Airport:

Mayor Rybak meets with St. Cloud Mayor on Airport Issues Group
Seeks "Win-Win" on Increase in Air Cargo Traffic

<snip>

"The airline industry is bouncing back strongly after September 11 and
MSP [the Minneapolis/St Paul Airport] is quickly running out of
capacity.  Meanwhile, St. Cloud and other regional centers are looking
to expand airport service in their areas.  The potential for a win-win
result cannot be overlooked," Rybak said.

[Terrell]  Losers would include the air freight industry that would
need to truck everything for an hour and a half up to St. Cloud (maybe
3 hours during severe winter weather) with the same amount of time on
the road for inbound freight.

These companies are currently building new facilities at MSP which will
be a strong push toward not moving.

It's interesting that the air cargo industry is not listed among the
groups invited to the meeting.

Shippers and receivers also lose.  The time to transport to and from
St. Cloud gets included in the time they need for shipment, either get
it done sooner, get it later or pay to send it by courier or charter
(big bucks).

[Mayor's press release]  Doyle emphasized that air cargo access is
essential for Minnesota to compete in a global economy. "Just-in-time"
business demands means such access includes 48 hours or less cargo
service to and from worldwide locations. Currently Minnesota air cargo
takes four to six days to access international locations, whether from
MSP or sent via Chicago.  Approximately 200 metro area trucks per week
travel to Chicago to get access to their international air cargo hub.

[Terrell]  I worked in the air charter business for 3 years.  That
statement is misleading.  Air freight comes in various degrees of time
critical.  If you need it right now, you charter a plane.  This is the
real emergency stuff.  You need it now because you need to shut down a
manufacturing plant if its not there.  You don't want to need to send
everybody home because you are missing a part.  There is a whole
industry that supplies the need for "on demand" air charter.

Sometimes you can ship on a commercial flight (given the restrictions
have changed in the last 9 months) or use an overnight carrier.

Other times you ship by air because you need it before a boat will
arrive.  The first domestic destination may be selected for best
customs availability.  The trucks between here and Chicago are a straw
man.  There is no airplane in the world that can land in Chicago that
can't land in Minnesota (MSP, Duluth or Rochester).  The put it on the
truck because it gets it here on time and its cheaper ... emphasis is
in getting it here on time.

[Mayor's press release]
"What we're pursuing is not a silver bullet solution to long-term
airport capacity problems at MSP, but an incremental step that will
push us in the direction of a much-needed statewide aviation strategy.
We're losing a huge amount of air cargo business to Chicago, and all of
Minnesota will benefit from bringing that business back here in a
responsible way.  This is about proactive development-building for the
competitive Minnesota we want 20 to 30 years from now." Rybak said.

[Terrell]  This is another patchwork fix.  That's my nice evaluation.
Unlike passengers, freight is willing to fly at night.  Much of the
freight traffic takes place well away from air traffic daily peaks.

This is a way to extend the life of the current airport in its current
location.  A better proactive step would be to start the process of
land banking for a new airport.  Most people will agree that the
current airport will run out of space, the question is more "when?"

Met Council Chair Ted Mondale led the charge to stop the dual track
airport study a few years ago and has backed himself into the same
corner as the airlines who have large investments at the current MSP.

There are a whole bunch of reasons to start land banking for a new
airport.  Taken in total they provide good support.  Individually those
reasons won't build the support.  Patchwork strategies as were
suggested yesterday only cut into the foundation of land banking
support.

Terrell Brown
Loring Park
terrell at terrellbrown dot org