(Tim Connolly)
I'm certain some have asked these questions but do
people know how much it costs the city to bring down
one of these trees and replace it with another?

I am told the chemical treatment for the diease cost
$300 per yearly application. I am not certain how many
years that would be necessary, if it be in perpetuity
or if it might not have a cumulative effect that would
mean, for instance, after four years you could stop
treatment.

The number I recall being taken down this summer is
300 trees. At $300/tree that would come to $90k for
one year.

(Kris Musser)

What I have heard from talking with others dealing with elms on their blvd
in Minneapolis is that some have organized in their neighborhood to pay the
(approx) $300/tree for the injections that prevent the dutch elm disease.
The injections last three years.  The way I understand it, the city doesn't
pay for the injections for prevention (not even for boulevard elms), nor
from my personal experience will the city inform you of the treatment if
you don't already know to ask.  (probably where the comment in the
editorial about residents "seem to not have noticed" an infestation on
their corner.)   They probably don't know the other trees are being
infected.  I paid about $600 to have a 27'' diameter diseased elm removed
from my yard.  A boulevard elm of the same size may cost less to remove due
to an easier location for equipment, etc.  Using this limited information,
I would imagine the city would save money on prevention rather than waiting
and paying more for removal.  The city might have a hard time paying for
something that they aren't paying for now, however.

I think the city's prevention program right now entails removing diseased
elms as quickly as possible and does not include information on how you can
help your other trees (only going from personal experience).  The city's
forestry division was so helpful when I called to ask them questions, but I
wish that they would be able to include a flyer or even a sentence or two
in the letter that goes out warning of further spread to your other elms
and prevention resources.

If you have elms in your yard or boulevard with diseased elms nearby, they
are in immediate danger.  To save nearby elms you need to act quickly with
prevention that may include injection and small trenches that separate the
roots to prevent spreading in that manner. (Believe me, the trench part
costs a bit more!)  To me, it was worth it, but thats a decision each
person/neighborhood needs to make.  If anyone wants any information
regarding the company I used, etc.  I would be happy to share off List.

Kris Musser
Linden Hills