I read your thoughs about what the city should do about the McKinsey
recommendations.  There are many people in the Prospect Park
Neighborhood who are not at all sure of the usefulness of the
recommendations.  What follows is a statement that was adopted by the
executive committee of my neighborhood's organization.  While I have
posted it before, I think that it's useful to look at its findings
side-by-side with your own.

Steve Cross
Prospect Park

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PPERRIA Executive Committee Observations on McKinsey Report

The Executive Committee of the Prospect Park East River Road Improvement
Association (PPERRIA) at its meeting on April 12, 2002 discussed the
report of McKinsey & Company to the City of Minneapolis.  We believe
that:

(1) McKinsey & Company has performed a valuable public service in
recommending the reorganization of the city’s development functions.

(2) It is useful to declare for the city to now set long term and
intermediate goals for the development of housing and jobs.  All
involved city departments should be required to submit regular reports
on activities taken to reach those goals.

(3) The city must take additional steps to communicate and coordinate
interrelated functions of the city among city departments and employees.

(4) Consideration should be given to whether a city manager would be
beneficial to coordinate city functions.

(5) It is bad public policy to mix regulatory and promotion functions.
For that reason, we are opposed to the merger in one department of any
building regulation and building development activities of the city.  We
believe there are alternatives that promise a better result.  One is to
provide for the appointment within the development offices of an
advocate to the regulatory offices to expedite priority projects.

(6) Zoning is a useful way to prospectively determine the nature of city
development.  Ordinarily, zoning decisions should be respected so that
any zoning decisions that interfere with any development are not
overturned on the request of any developer.  A possible standard for
change is the inability to anticipate material events.

(7) The NRP and the MCDA are multiple-jurisdictional agencies under
state law and not an instrumentality of the city.  We fail to see
advantages of making those agencies “just” a department of the city’s
government.  However, we do think that the city must exercise its
influence over the NRP and the MCDA so that they play a prominent role
in meeting the city’s housing and jobs development goals.

(8) The actual role of the neighborhoods in the new development process
seems inconsistent with an enhanced role for neighborhoods in that
process.

(9) We do not believe that a case has been made for the merger of the
city’s Public Works Department into a merged development agency.

(10) Changes should be implemented step-by-step so there is sufficient
time to evaluate as each step is completed.

These observations are solely those of the PPERRIA Executive Committee.
PPERRIA’s membership has not yet seen let alone approved this
statement.  No
membership meeting is scheduled before the City Council will apparently
act.