> Catherine Leighton
> Live in Longfellow/Work North East writes:

My household also sports a truck that one of my sons
uses for work.  He's in construction, travels
throughout the metro area, and carries tools and
materials to jobs.  I don't see an alternative to
his mode of transportation but I am quite sure that he
is offending more than a  few list members.

sm:
On our block in Folwell, we were blessed/cursed with
the only driveway on the block. Blessed because it
provided offstreet parking. And cursed because in a
two-vehicle household, a one-lane driveway {especially
a long, narrow one} was virtually useless.

Like Catherine's son, my husband works in lawn
service, and regularly drove a truck with a small
trailer attached. Drivers would regularly park their
vehicles immediately up to either side or directly
across from it...which is legal, but made it
impossible for my husband to get out.  If I parked on
the street so I wouldn't block the truck, which was
about to leave, I would be excoriated by the
neighbors. We were probably seen as being wasteful and
greedy. But the parking space just didn't serve our
purposes.

Someone mentioned that parking issues can almost lead
to police action. I can relate to that too! It took
forever to shovel out our driveway during the
Halloween blizzard. A few minutes later, I found a
stranger's parked car in it. I still remember
screaming up and down the deserted block, "WHOSE CAR
IS THIS!!!?"

It'll be interesting to see how this issue works out.
Having a garage is only half the puzzle...you need
reliable access to it as well.

Susan Maricle
Bruno, MN
whose pole shed can't be used for parking because the
chickens have taken it over