I was about 3/4 finished writing this when I heard the
tragic news. I'm still having reservations about
hitting the send button, but since it's already
written, I'll send it out and you can decide whether
to read it, wait a while, or hit delete.

I'm still stunned and in shock considering our loss.

###

Michael Atherton wrote of Falacies [1]:

> 1) Legal residents are not required to perform jury
duty.

I don't know about this one, but I'll take your word
on it. In a lot of ways though, this is both a right
and a responsibility. There are some questions that
could be raised regarding "trial by a jury of peers"
if a resident noncitizen goes to court.

In any case, this is a lesser responsibility of
citizenship when compared to some others. If you're
talking giving resident noncitizens complete voting
rights for all offices, it may be an issue, but since
what is being discussed is partial voting rights,
having a couple less responsibilities isn't really
unfair.

There are other rights that noncitizens don't get such
being able to get a US passport, government protection
and assistance when abroad, etc.

> 2) In event of war legal residents can give up their
status and
> return to their home countries without fear of being
prosecuted
> for draft evasion.  This is not true of American
citizens as
> illustrated by what happened to young men who moved
to Canada
> to avoid the draft during the Vietnam war.

However, if I'm not mistaken, an American citizen can
give up their citizenship to avoid the draft by
emmigrating to another country. Also, American
citizens do not have to file for Selective Service
(resident noncitizens do).

Additionally, while someone from England could
probably just leave, there are a lot of people who
have no place they can safely go-. Sure they could go
back and be killed or jailed.

Resident noncitizens who want to become American
citizens CAN give up everything and leave, but of
course, so could you or I. Just don't expect it to be
easy if you want to come back.

In any case, this would only really be relevant if we
were talking about giving full voting rights for all
offices.

Michael A. also discussed the ease of gaining
citizenship.

First you have to get permanent resident status (there
are other means, but this covers 90% of the
applicants), then you have to wait 5 years. There
shorter times for people who are married to a citizen
or have performed military service.

You have to have "good moral character", english and
civics knowledge, and an attachement to the
constitution (I don't have a problem with these
requirements, but they're more than a lot of "citizens
by birth" have)

In general, you also have to take both an english test
and a civics test. I'm pretty sure that many people
with the right to vote couldn't have done very well. I
will admit that it was pretty easy for me, although
identifying which one out of four ammendments didn't
deal with voting rights was a bit of a guess (one was
in the first 10 ammendments, so I was pretty sure that
was it). I answered 50 questions at 100%, but two
years ago I couldn't have. One of my favorites was:

Q: Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution and
the Bill of Rights?
A: Everyone ( citizens and non-citizens living in the
U.S. )

I do agree with Michael that the fees are not
exhorbitant. According to the DOJ, it's $260 to file
the application and an additional $50 to get
fingerprinted. The main hurdles for getting
naturalized are getting permanent residency in the
first place and then waiting five years.

I'm not sure I would make the general hurdles any
easier - as I've mentioned before, I would like to see
the same bar raised for those who are born in this
country. The hurdles in place for getting permanent
residency may be worth reviewing.

But again, what we are discussing is allowing people
who work and live in Minneapolis the right to vote to
some degree on a local level and allowing other cities
in Minnesota to make that decision for themselves.

Brian Melendez (who certainly knows a great deal more
about the law than I do) also responded to a statement
I made regarding the Constitution not giving the
Federal government the right to dictate how state or
local leadership is determined [2].

As an example, I said "If a city were to be run by a
local church, that would not be unconsitutional (as
long as it were not prohibited by the state
constitution)."

Brian made the statement that my example was incorrect
for two reasons.

Taking the second one first, he stated that the
Minnesota Consitution also prohibits "any preference .
. . by law to any religious establishment or mode of
worship."

This is absolutely correct. My statement was more of a
hypothetical - the State does have the ability to
determine it's own governance and depending on what
the state constitution is, it may prohibit or give
freedom to localities to determine their governance.

That was part of the reason I included "as long as it
were not prohibited by the state constitution" - The
state can prevent it.

His first point regarding incorporation was more
educational to me. I knew that part of the purpose of
the 14th ammendment was to limit state rights, but I
didn't realize the degree of impact that
"incorporation" had. I have a great deal of interest
in the 14th and 16th ammendments as I feel that
aspects of these changes go against what the framers
of the constitution believed in, but I'll go side line
to discuss that with Mr. Melendez.

Because of this, my example was inaccurate, but (and I
assume Brian would have pointed out if this was
incorrect as well) the premise I was trying to
illustrate is not. Our federal Constitution does not
require the states to limit local elections to US
Citizens only. Our state constitution does, which is
why it would require an ammendment.

###

[1]
http://www.mnforum.org/pipermail/mpls/2002-October/017741.html