> I don't know much about how other people on this
> list think about memorials or historical markers to
> their ancestors. But I have always had trouble with
> negative monuments. I also have some sympathy for
> the Heritage Preservation Commission's mission.  A
> lot of our culture is represented in our
> architecture and many people have an intense
> sentimental attachment to buildings.  If we don't
> perserve our past, we can easily forget it.
>
> But the controversy over the River-Lake Tabernacle
> is a fool's errand. Sure it is history.  But I don't

> need to be reminded of how uncomfortable Jewish
> people were made to feel in this town in the
> past.

I disagree.

Ever heard of the Irish Holocost? If you have, you're
in the minority. 6 million Irish were starved,
murdered, or forced to emmigrate in the mid 1800s as
the British shipped massive amounts of food out of
Ireland to feed their armies.

Of course, today, it was an "unfortunate potato
blight" and an "act of god" - "The potato famine".
Right - 'cause Irish dirt can only grow potatoes or
Irish Catholics would rather die than eat anything
else.

If an effort is not made to remember the uglier sides
of history, they will tend to disappear. Great, right?
Why remember the ugly sides of history?

People have to remember that WWII happened, that
people like Hitler exist, that groups like the KKK
exist, that lynchings happen.

Otherwise, they WILL happen again. They may anyway.

It might not be the Irish or the Jewish or the blacks
next time, but it will be someone. Maybe Muslims, or
Buddhists, or Hmong, or Vietnamese, or Hispanics, or
???. Anyone notice any rising anti immigrant sentiment
lately?

We have to remember that we, as a people, as a
culture, are not so good that we are above hate and
intolerance, or we won't be on guard against it
happening again.

I don't know if this memorial is the right one, but
negative memorials are important. We have to remember
the WWII holocost and memorialize the death camps. We
have to remember the Native Americans that we pushed
from these lands to build our cities and memorialize
the battle grounds and memorialize their religious and
cultural sites. We have to remember the slaves that
died by the millions and their descendents who were
beaten, murdered, and lynched by men in white robes
and memorialize some of those atrocities.

We have to remember that we are not perfect and we are
capable of these things. We need to search for those
things that we're still doing that will sound
similarly appalling to our descendents.

And in remembering those evils, we can also feel proud
of our accomplishments and tolerance we have
developed. The fact that things like the Tabernacle
existed but now seems so appalling is a testiment to
the fact that we have grown as a people.

- Jason Goray, Sheridan, NE