Annie Young writes:

> Sandy Colvin Roy then responded with a remark about how we must all
take
> our lumps That this year is the last year of the Minneapolis Awards -
it is
> on the budget chopping block. That is a crying shame - there must be
some
> way to acknowledge the great work of citizens in Minneapolis where it
> doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I certainly understand things need to be cut, and the Minneapolis Awards
are far from essential. That said (as I said when I got mine), it is
precisely in times like these that the city needs volunteers more and
more.

I don't think anyone who has won one of these awards did it for the
award. And no one will stop doing what they do because the awards don't
exist. But it is amazing how gratifying a frame, a piece of glass, a
finely written piece of paper, and a neat City of Minneapolis pin can be
to someone who willingly donates their time. I know that was multiplied
times the 10 winners and their proud friends and family.

I hope a way can be found to save the awards. I won't be winning
another, but I think this is an important thing for the community and
future winners. I'd wager they are a truly minimal expense (Re: CM
Colvin Roy's fair comment, I would at least like to know how much the
Awards cost to put on, to justify it being cut).

Perhaps a foundation or even a group of volunteers, ala Southwest
Citizens for Civic Engagement, can take over the awards to keep the
recognition going. Perhaps the Citizens Fair and Minneapolis Awards can
be combined with another event (the Aquatennial?) to further reduce
expenses and, in the case of the Citizens Fair at least, increase
traffic.

David Brauer
King Field