One time back in the '90s, I got to attend an awards dinner that honored
my neighbor Barb Lickness, among others.  It was a dress-up affair at
International Square and I made a point of attending because whatever
Barb and my political differences at the time, I appreciated her work
and felt I could convey my respect by attending this event in her honor.
Another time, another honoree and different details but that time I was
too ill to attend.

We plain Janes have a real sense of mission and the trappings of high
appointed and elected office are often not in our sights. We're just
being good citizens as we see it.

I've also been at more upscale events from time to time over the years
and I must say I identify more with that one citizen awards dinner I did
attend than any of the loftier events.

Maybe I'm just vin ordinaire but what was that? Cookies and beverage at
the convention center? We do better than that every time we put on a
bean feed at the high rise!

Fred Markus, Horn Terrace, Ward Ten in the Lyndale Neighborhood