> It appears now that the law is regularly
> circumvented and has been for some time. If
> politicians lack the desire to enforce the existing
> law what is the point of keeping it? It would be one

> thing if supportive housing was distributed widely
> through the city and this revocation would trigger
> an avalance for example on Whittier, but doesn't
> revoking this law simply reflect reality? If another

> proposal came up that would violate this rule, but
> it was a good project and would benefit a class of
> people, chances are it would be approved despite the

> law.

This hits on a touch point of mine that has almost
become a personal mantra:

"If something is not expected to be enforced, it
should not be a law. If it should be a law, it should
be uniformly enforced."

The former would include some old laws like driving
with a bonnet on as well as laws that occasionally get
applied for the sake of persecution like sodomy laws.

The latter are laws that are there for good reason and
should be enforced, like littering or speeding but are
not regularly broken.

In a middle area are laws that are enforced with
discrimination like drug laws, etc.

The way I look at them is that if they are acceptable
laws, they should be enforced aggressively and anyone
breaking these laws should face equal legal response.
If they are not acceptable laws they should be
repealed.

In my mind, the supportive housing situation falls
into this category. Wealthy and politically active
neighborhoods may have the will and resources to make
sure they are protected by the law, but other
neighborhoods may not.

Oddly, the neighborhoods that are not being protected
are, in some cases, the neighborhoods the laws were
designed to protect. The wealthy and politically
active neighborhoods often have the economic/political
clout to protect themselves with or without the law.

There are a lot of laws that are insufficiently
enforced, but if they are "good" laws, the answer is
to demand that they are enforced, not repealing them.

In my opinion, this law may be one of them. I have an
open mind on the issue, but I'd have to see a
compelling argument before I would consider supporting
repealing the law. To date, the only arguments I've
seen are ones that support the current law.

- Jason Goray, Sheridan, NE
  "what shades of grey?"