Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 4:20 PM
Subject: [Mpls] I-35W Access Project - The flyover, northbound ramp and taking of housing

Today at the PAC meeting, I asked the lead engineer for clarification on the design of the flyover and the northbound ramps and, what it is about the design that requires taking of housing on 2nd Avenue. With so many details, I forgot exactly how this worked. It's an important clarification because I believe that some people have the understanding that it is the flyover to 28th Street that requires the taking of 2nd Avenue houses. That's not true. It's actually the design of the northbound entrance ramp from Lake Street that does this, at least as currently designed. I remember the engineers being asked a while back if the northbound ramp could be designed differently to avoid this consequence and the reply was no, I believe because of how it interfaced with the proposed (outside) bus lane on the freeway, which had to provide sufficient acceleration space for the busses leaving the Lake Street transit station before they merged with the northbound entrance ramp traffic. The bus lane is no longer planned to be in the outside lane, but locating it in the center doesn't, I guess, change the design of the northbound enteric ramp.

Thus, getting rid of or reconfiguring the flyover as part of the design, but leaving the northbound entrance ramp, will not eliminate the need to remove housing.

Jeanne Massey
Kingfield